The Natalee Holloway case comes to a close
Trump may not be the only Republican candidate to skip next GOP primary debate
Former President Donald Trump may not be the only 2024 Republican contender to rule out participating in next month’s third GOP presidential nomination debate in Florida.
Vivek Ramaswamy would not commit to the Nov. 8 showdown in Miami.
“I’m considering my options,” the multimillionaire biotech entrepreneur and first-time presidential candidate told Fox News on Wednesday after filing to place his name on the presidential primary ballot in New Hampshire.
Trump pointed to his enormous lead over his large field of rivals as he skipped the first two debates. Late last month, Trump campaign adviser Chris LaCivita said Trump would not take the stage at the third debate.
Trump’s campaign is calling for all future debates to be canceled and that the Republican National Committee – which is organizing the debates – should “refocus its manpower and money” on defeating Democrats in next year’s election.
Ramaswamy on Wednesday reiterated that he’s reached the criteria for the third debate but may join Trump in opting out. His campaign has been having internal discussions about whether he should participate in the Miami showdown.
The candidate, who took plenty of incoming fire from some of his onstage rivals at the first two debates, said that “my view is what best advances substantive debate for the future of the Republican Party and for the future of our country, and so we’re weighing what best accomplishes that.”
Tim Scott’s Super PAC Cuts TV Ad Buys as Campaign Struggles
The winds of change could be sweeping through the presidential campaign of Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), as a super PAC supporting the Republican candidate has chosen to cease a significant portion of its television ad purchases for the fall.
This decision by the Trust in the Mission PAC, outlined in a memo from co-chair Rob Collins to supporters, hints at a possible deceleration in Mr. Scott’s campaign momentum. While Mr. Scott recently filed his candidacy for South Carolina’s primary, the scaling back of ad buys raises questions about its strategy building up to November 2024.
In the memo from Mr. Collins, the former co-chair said the group would continue with door-knocking and other efforts, with an eye toward potentially reallocating resources as actual votes draw nearer.
“Until the experts recognize Tim is the only candidate that can capture the nomination and defeat President Joe Biden, there will be a very expensive and loud next few months—full of sound and fury and signifying nothing,” Mr. Collins wrote in the memo, which was obtained by AP and first reported on by Politico.
“So, we are doing what would be obvious in the business world but will mystify politicos—we aren’t going to waste our money when the electorate isn’t focused or ready for a Trump alternative. We have done the research. We have studied the focus groups. We have been following Tim on the trail. This electorate is locked up, and money spent on mass media isn’t going to change minds until we get a lot closer to voting.”